Job Title: Director of the Board
Reports to: Co-op Owners
- Set policies to further the mission and goals of the co-op.
- Review polices periodically to assess their relevance to changing co-op needs
- Recruit, hire, and if necessary, fire the General Manager.
- Evaluate the General Manager annually using mutually established goals.
- Support the General Manager as needed to accomplish WSGC mission and goals
- Maintain financial stability of the cooperative while ensuring opportunities for long term growth
- Communicate with members/owners using diverse channels to ensure all voices and opinions are heard with respect to board decisions
- Prepare for and attend all board meetings, usually 8 to 10 per year.
- Attend annual board retreat
- Serve on at least two board committees
- Attend the annual membership meeting.
- Attend at least two WSGC board events to promote visibility of board (i.e. board/owner forums)
- Commit to the full term for which you are elected, usually three years.
- Commit 10-15 hours per month to co-op business
- Maintain confidentiality of all matters when it is required
- Be a member of the co-op in good standing
- Proven ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner
- Prior experience making decisions in a group setting
Other Criteria That May Be Considered by the Nominations Committee
- Experience in at least two of the following:
- Business - retail or wholesale
- Finance - budget analysis, major financial decisions
- Real estate acquisition
- Personnel management
- Natural foods and nutrition
- Cooperative movement and philosophy
- Grocery industry
- Service on other boards
Back to top