If you’re passionate about Willy Street Co-op and have mad skills or experience in strategic planning, sustainability, cooperatives, retail, or communications, here are seven reasons to consider joining the Board.
- Be a part of a strong, well-loved, and growing community brand.
The Willy Street Co-op is growing in revenue ($31M +), staff (290), stores (2), products, collaborations, outreach, and awards—including Madison Magazine’s 2012 Best Places to Work. It’s an exciting time to be associated with the Co-op.
- Help the Co-op extend its influence by working in one of three focus areas:
(1) Developing green initiatives; (2) increasing financial accessibility; and (3) developing our local food system. These focus areas were developed in 2011 after listening to Owners’ visions for the Co-op, and the Board is diligently working to provide insights and guidance to the General Manager team in these areas. Do these resonate with you? If you have education, interest and/or expertise in these three areas we would welcome your teamwork.
- Work in your strengths.
Have you ever been part of a team, but weren’t sure how you could effectively contribute? In 2012, the Board started using Strengthsfinder to better understand and leverage Board members’ strengths and assess the Board’s overall strengths and weaknesses.
- Work with smart, passionate people.
One attribute of the Board I’ve been so impressed with is that members freely give their opinions, don’t always agree, and are a group of co-op geeks with good intentions from very diverse backgrounds.
- Eat well.
A yummy meal is catered by the Willy Street Co-op Kitchen at every Board meeting.
- Work with a super-competent staff.
Working with Anya (the Co-op’s General Manager) and Stephanie (the Co-op’s Executive Assistant & Board Liaison) is easy. They both kick ass at the Co-op and make our jobs easy.
- Develop your knowledge of food, organics, sustainability, and the co-op movement.
The opportunities to network, attend conferences and workshops about co-ops, boards, sustainability, and Madison’s food community has been a pleasant surprise. Like professional development...outside of work!
The application process is both simple and thorough. This year we’ve upgraded the application questions to better reflect the Board’s needs. If you decide to run for the Board (and I hope you consider it), you would be asked to answer these questions:
- What strengths do you bring to the three Board initiatives (1. developing green initiatives; 2. increasing financial accessibility; and 3. developing our local food system)? How will you utilize these strengths on the Co-op’s Board of Directors? Please provide specific examples.
- Why do you want to be on the Board?
- What’s your interest in the future of food?
If your interest is piqued, please look over the nominations packet (available at the Customer Service desks or online at willystreet.coop/run_for_the_board_of_directors) to learn more about the history of Willy Street Co-op, the Board’s policy and governance model, and the time commitment required. Applications are due by 6:00pm on July 12th.
And if running for the Board isn’t your thing, please VOTE for the candidate you feel is best suited to contribute to the future of our Co-op.