No, I’m not referring to the U.S. Presidential election. In this case, I’m talking about your Willy Street Co-op Board of Directors election season.
The annual Board election is your opportunity to participate in the democratic governance of your cooperative. Here’s everything you need to know—important dates, election process and voting options—for this year’s upcoming Board election:
- April 1st: Call for Board candidates opens. Board Candidate Packet available online and at the Co-op retail locations. The packet gives information about the Co-op, the Board, its system of governance, and the qualities and commitment required of an effective director.
- May 10th: 6:00pm, Board Candidate Information Session at Willy West
- May 22nd: 2:00pm, Board Candidate Information Session at Willy East
- July 1st: Voting period begins. Candidate statements will be available online, in-store, published in the July Reader and available at the Annual Meeting & Party. See below for more details on your voting options.
- July 14th: Annual Meeting & Party (AMP)! In August 2014, Owners approved a bylaw change that shifted the annual election cycle from August to July thereby enabling Owners to cast their vote at the AMP. This change was proposed as a way to include more Owners in the decision-making process, since the AMP is a well-attended event and a great opportunity for Owners to engage with current Board members and Board candidates.
- July 19th: Voting period ends. All paper ballots must be received by 6:00pm. (Online ballots must be cast by 11:59pm on July 17th.) The Board will hold a special meeting to announce the results of the election.
- August: Newly elected Board Directors are seated.
Recent bylaw changes have expanded your options for casting your ballot. All active Owners may cast a ballot. Both Individual and Household Owners are entitled to one vote. Your voting options include:
- In the store: Ballot boxes will be available in both East and West retail locations from 7:30am on July 1st until 6:00pm on July 19th.
- By mail: Send your completed paper ballot, printed in the July Reader or available in either store, to: Owner Vote, Willy Street Co-op, 1457 E. Washington Avenue, Madison, WI 53703. Ballots must be received by July 19 at 6 p.m.
- At the Annual Meeting & Party: We will have a special voting area with candidate statements and ballots, and even a traveling ballot box so you can conveniently place your vote when you join us at the AMP on July 14.
- Online: If the Co-op has your email address, you will receive an email with a unique link that you can use to cast your vote. If you do not receive an online ballot via email, you’re either not the primary owner on your account or the Co-op does not have your email address. If you would like to receive your ballot by email, please stop by the Customer Service desk at either store and fill out the appropriate form.