Job Title: Director of the Board
Reports to: Co-op Owners
- The Board should engage in ongoing planning activities as necessary to determine the Mission of the organization and its strategic direction, to define specific goals and objectives related to the Mission, and to evaluate the success of the organization’s services toward achieving the Mission.
- The Board should approve policies that further the Co-op's Mission and goals while also ensuring the effective, efficient and cost-effective operation of the organization.
- The Board should periodically review the aforementioned policies to assess their relevance to the Co-op's changing needs.
- The Board should annually approve the organization’s budget and assess the organization’s financial performance in relation to the budget at least four times per year.
- The Board should maintain the financial stability of the Cooperative while ensuring opportunities for long term growth.
- The Board should hire, set compensation for, and annually evaluate (using mutually established goals) the performance of the General Manager.
- The Board should support the General Manager as needed to accomplish the WSGC's Mission and goals.
- The Board should ensure that an annual monitoring of internal controls is conducted annually, and that a summary of the results of the review is provided to the entire Board.
- The Board should periodically assess the need for insurance coverage in light of the nature and extend of the organization’s activities and its financial capacity.
- The Board should consistently communicate information with Owners and seeks their input on WSGC issues.
- Board members are responsible for the ongoing work of the Board, participating in committee work, being prepared for meetings, and attending related events.
- The Board, together with the GM, recruits Board candidates and jointly orients new Directors
- Prepare for and attend all Board meetings, usually 10 to 12 per year.
- Attend the annual Board retreat.
- Serve on at least two Board committees.
- Attend the Annual Membership Meeting.
- Attend at least two WSGC Board events to promote visibility of the Board (i.e. Board/owner forums).
- Commit to the full term for which you are elected, usually three years.
- Commit 10-15 hours per month to Co-op business.
- Maintain confidentiality of all matters, as required.
- Be a member of the Co-op in good standing.
- Proven ability to communicate in a clear, concise manner.
- Prior experience making decisions in a group setting.
- Be willing to provide your home address.
Other Criteria That May Be Considered by the Nominations Committee
Experience in at least two of the following:
- Business - retail or wholesale
- Finance - budget analysis, major financial decisions
- Policy AuditingExperience
- Real estate acquisition
- Personnel management
- Natural foods and nutrition
- Cooperative movement and philosophy
- Grocery industry
- Service on other boards
- Meeting Facilitation
- Contract Negotiation
2006 Director Job Description
Approved by the Board of Directors at the 17 March, 2009 Board meeting.
Revised by Stephanie, per discussion at the 2009 annual Board retreat: 02/25/09
Drafted by Tamara: 5/21/07