As we move closer to this year’s July 9th Annual Meeting and Party, it is also time to consider serving on the Willy Street Co-op Board of Directors! Our nine member Board serves onbehalf of our over 31,000 Owners, representing our collective interests and responsibilities to make Willy Street Co-op a successful and contributing member of the local community.
For myself, getting involved with Willy Street Co-op Board made sense; I am involved with many grassroots groups with an interest in improving our communities and Willy Street Co-op had a track record of being a contributor to that environment, either through support for local charities and non-profits or providing meeting spaces and resources that build up our local food movement. Being a part of our numerous efforts to provide value and quality to our customers has been a rewarding experience.
As Willy Street Co-op moves forward, we are seeking passionate, dynamic Owners to serve in a leadership role. Willy Street Co-op Board has a number of important issues on its horizon.
- Responsibility to Ownership: Building knowledge of our work and efforts to give a vision to the Willy Street Co-op, our staff and management, our Owners, and the community at large.
- Continuing to provide value to customers: As the local food market becomes more competitive, how can we support the strategies of our staff and management and maintain our place as leader in quality products and services?
- Our place in the discussion of disparities: Willy Street Co-op is committed to tackling local disparities, and has provided support for Race to Equity projects for fighting racial disparities in Dane County. We however know we can do more, both inside and outside of Willy Street Co-op.
- The work of our Intersectionality Committee: As we focus on the disparities issues facing Dane County, we will also move forward with taking a critical look at our internal steps and efforts to be inclusive, engaged and diverse in our work and spaces at Willy Street Co-op.
- Lessons learned from union drive: As we move forward from the recent union drive at Willy Street Co-op, what lessons can we learn on behalf of our staff and Owners, who provided diverse opinions on the needs of workers inside Willy Street Co-op?
- Discussions around a third store: While Owners overwhelmingly approved the creation of a third store, more discussion and study will be needed before taking on the task of expansion of Willy Street Co-op.
My fellow directors and I are excited and humbled to be entrusted with the responsibility of guiding and directing our co-op and would love to have you join us this fall. If you have interest in the inner workings of the Willy Street Co-op, local food, groceries, cooperatives, and everything in between, please consider running for the Board. For more information, see this link, which includes the candidate packet.