SUBJECT TO CHANGE
Willy Street Co-op supports providing opportunities for free performances by musicians on Co-op property. Musicians under 18 years of age must have the permission of their legal guardian and musicians under 13 years of age must be accompanied/supervised by their legal guardian. Performance content and Musician conduct must be nondiscriminatory. Any form of discrimination based on age, race, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national or ethnic origin, political beliefs, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by state or federal law is contrary to the principles and policies of Willy Street Co-op.
The following is required to perform music on Co-op property:
- Interested Musicians must take part in an initial audition process. The auditions will take place once a month on the 2nd Wednesday from 1-2pm. Musicians will be approved at the Co-op’s discretion. Approved Musicians will be placed on a list for Co-op staff to keep internally for awareness purposes.
- During the audition musicians are expected to play a portion of 2 to 3 songs.
- Musicians with a documented past history of issues at the Co-op will not be approved.
- Approval can be revoked for any reason, at any time.
- Musicians are allowed to perform once per day for up to two (2) hours, any day the store is open between 12:00pm and 7:00pm. Use of performance space is granted on a first come, first serve basis. If musicians wish to wait in line to perform they must wait outside with their belongings or risk losing their spot.
- Musicians are solely responsible for their personal belongings and may not leave personal belongings unattended. Musicians and all of the Musician’s property must be clear of the inside foyer and any walkways into or out of the store’s entrance.
- Occasionally, nonprofit organizations or Co-op event staff will reserve space between 12:00pm and 7:00pm. Musicians are not allowed to use Co-op property to perform when these events are in progress.
- Out of respect for our Owners and neighbors, music performed must be acoustic (no electric instruments). Acoustic music that can be heard beyond the Co-op parking lot is not allowed.
- Due to space limitations, only music may be performed, no other types of performance art is allowed.
- Busking, or leaving a repository for donations is allowed, however, Musicians may NOT directly approach people anywhere on Co-op property or in the parking lot. Interaction must be initiated by the passerby. Aggressive canvassing or “hard-sell” tactics may result in suspension of Musician privileges.
- Clothing, music, and communication with others cannot depict or utilize slogans or images that are partisan or denoting profanity, hate speech, or sexually explicit content. The Co-op will not tolerate any verbal, written, physical, visual, or other forms of harassment.
- Musicians are not allowed to park in the Co-op parking lots.
Designated locations for performing are subject to change, at the discretion of the Manager on Duty.
The Co-op may have scheduling or logistical reasons to disallow performing. The Co-op also takes written and verbal complaints into consideration when deciding whether Musicians may continue to use performing privileges. Performing privileges may be denied, suspended, or revoked by Co-op Services Department Staff or a Manager on Duty for any reason, at any time.
The views expressed by Musicians are solely those of the Musicians themselves, and do not represent the views of Willy Street Co-op.
Approved musicians are asked to sign a copy of the Musicians' Policy with the following statement: "I have read this policy and understand that I (or my child) am (is) expected to follow this policy and that performing privileges may be denied, suspended, or revoked by Co-op Services Department Staff or a Manager on Duty for any reason, at any time. If I am the musician’s legal guardian, I understand that if my child is under 13 years of age, I must accompany/supervise my child while they play music on Co-op property."