- tomatillos, husked, washed, and roughly chopped
- poblano chili pepper, roasted, peeled and seeded
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 t
- 1⁄2 t
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c
- cold water, plus enough ice to fill to 2c. measure
- ripe avocados, peeled, stoned
- 1 bn
- scallions, thinly sliced for garnish
Chilled avocado soup is a simple summer favorite sure to cool you down despite the dog days. Tomatillos, lime, and just a hint of heat from a roasted poblano pepper fill out the flavor of this dish that works wonders, especially when served with a side of chips and spicy salsa.
In a blender or food processor, combine the tomatillos, poblano, lime juice, salt & pepper with 1-2 T. ice-cold water. Puree until smooth. Add the avocados with the remaining water and ice. Blend just until smooth but not frothy. Serve chilled in bowls garnished with scallions.