- 1 1⁄2 lb
- butternut squash (peeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice)
- 3 T
- balsamic vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 T
- Dijon mustard
- 1 T
- maple syrup
- chipotle chile in adobo sauce (drained, seeded, and minced)
- 2 T
- olive oil
- 1 bn
- watercress (washed, dried, tough stems removed)
- 15 oz
- black beans (canned, rinsed and drained)
- scallion (thinly sliced, white and green parts)
This is a simple, hearty, wholesome salad. You might try doubling the dressing so you have some left over - it would be perfect on a green salad as well as this one.
Set the cubed squash in a steamer insert and set over a pot of boiling water. Cover and steam until tender, 8-10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, maple syrup, and chipotle chile, and a pinch of salt and pepper. While whisking, drizzle in the olive oil, and whisk until emulsified.
In a large bowl, combine the watercress, black beans, and scallions. Fold in the butternut squash, and add the dressing. Toss gently to coat. Taste, and adjust the seasoning if needed. Serve.