- olive oil
- small eggplants (about 1-lb. total) sliced into 1/3-inch thick rounds
- salt and pepper
- onion, sliced into rounds
- red or green pepper, cut into strips
- 2 c
- tomato sauce or chopped fresh tomatoes
- 4 T
- chopped fresh basil
- 1 c
- grated mozzarella and/or parmesan cheese
Fresh seasonal produce makes this dish shine! Serve as a vegetarian entree or a side dish for any meal.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in skillet; add eggplant and cook (in batches if necessary) on both sides until barely tender. Lay eggplant in baking dish and season well with salt and pepper. Saute onions and pepper strips until barely tender in a bit more oil. (Alternatively, you may brush vegetables with oil and grill them.) Layer onions and peppers over eggplant; season with salt and pepper. Cover with tomato sauce (or tomatoes) and basil. Top with cheese. Bake at 375º for 45 minutes.
Note: This can easily be increased to feed a crowd. Summer squash can be substituted or used with eggplant. Serve with a big salad, fresh bread and goat cheese.