- red leaf lettuce (head (about 3/4 lb.))
- 1⁄2 c
- orange juice
- avocados (ripe, peeled, stoned, and sliced)
- 1 T
- lime juice
- 3⁄4 lb
- jicama (peeled and julienned)
- corn taco shells (crispy, or more according to preference)
- orange raspberry viniagrette ((see recipe below))
- 1⁄3 c
- oil (walnut, canola, or olive)
This salad combines the wonderful flavors of jicama and avocado with refreshing citrus. However, contrasting textures make this recipe really sing. Crisp and refreshing, this salad is a great light dinner on its own, but is also perfect paired with jerked pork (or tofu) for a tropical evening at home. Mango margaritas, anyone?
Salad: Wash lettuce and tear lettuce into a large salad bowl. Add jicama and avocado slices, then toss gently with the vinaigrette. Toast taco shells at 350º for 10 minutes until crisp. Break crispy tacos shells into halves or thirds. Serve salad on individual plates with generously garnished with taco pieces. To make dressing: combine orange juice, oil, and lime juice in a jar with a tight lid. Shake well, and serve.