- 2⁄3 c
- uncooked rice (white or brown, or 2 cups plain cooked rice)
- 1 1⁄3 c
- water (or vegetable broth)
- 3⁄4 lb
- ground beef (or veggie burger)
- onion (chopped)
- 1 cn
- tomato sauce (15oz, or pizza sauce - see note)
- 1⁄4 t
- garlic powder (or 1 clove minced fresh garlic)
- 1 t
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 t
- oregano (dried)
- 1 t
- parlsey flakes (or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley)
- 1 1⁄2 c
- cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 c
- mozzarella cheese (shredded)
An economical casserole the family will enjoy.
Cook rice in water or broth until tender, 15 minutes for white rice or about 40 minutes for brown rice; cool slightly.
While rice is cooking, brown ground beef (or veggie burger) and onion in a large skillet. Add tomato sauce and seasonings; cover and simmer 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 325°F; butter a 2-qt. casserole. In a large bowl, combine cooked rice with cottage cheese. Spread one-third of the rice mixture in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Top with one-third of the meat sauce. Continue to alternate layers, ending with tomato sauce. Sprinkle with the shredded mozzarella. Bake in preheated oven about 30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
If using pizza sauce, add seasonings only to taste or not at all.