For 1 COM_JOOMRECIPE_SERVING_TYPE_
- 3 c all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 1/2 c dark brown sugar
- 2 t baking soda
- 1 t salt
- 1 navel orange
- 2 c navel orange juice
- 2/3 c sunflower oil
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 1/4 c orange marmalade
- 1 T rum
Sticky Orange Cake with Marmalade Glaze Directions
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Lightly grease 2 9-inch round cake pans. Line the bottoms with rounds of parchment paper, and lightly grease the paper. Set aside.
- Place the flour, sugar and brown sugar, baking soda, salt, and orange zest in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until thoroughly combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the orange juice, vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, and vanilla extract. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
Divide the batter between the 2 prepared cake pans, and bake for 30-35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (some crumbs are ok). Allow to cool in the pans for 20 minutes, then run a paring knife around the inside of each pan to release the cakes, and turn onto cooling racks.
- Make the glaze by combining the marmalade and rum or water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Warm, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Remove from heat, and use a slotted spoon to lift out solid bits of marmalade, and place them in a small bowl.
- Glaze the cakes with they’re still warm, but not hot, and the glaze is still hot. Transfer one of the cake rounds to a cake plate. Pierce the top in several places with a toothpick. Pour half the glaze over the cake. Place the second layer over the first, and repeat the process. Spoon the reserved marmalade bits on top of the cake. Allow to cool completely, then serve.