I like to double this recipe and keep them in the freezer. Just cook them first, and place on a baking sheet before freezing. When completely frozen, transfer to a freezer-safe bag. Voilà - convenient, homemade, delicious veggie burgers!
For 6 COM_JOOMRECIPE_SERVING_TYPE_
- 1 1/4 c cooked and cooled brown rice
- 1 c cooked lentils
- 1 c shredded beets
- 1/2 c breadcrumbs
- 3 T minced onion
- 2 T tahini
- 1 t dried thyme
- 1/2 t ground fennel
- 1 t dry mustard
- 1/2 t salt
- black pepper
- olive oil
- 6 burger buns
Bistro Beet Burgers Directions
- Combine the brown rice, lentils, and beets in the bowl of a food processor with a metal blade. Pulse 15-20 times until incorporated but still has lots of texture. Turn the mixture into a large bowl. Add the breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, tahini, thyme, fennel, mustard, salt, and black pepper. Mix very well with a wooden spoon, or clean hands. Transfer the bowl to the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Shape the mixture into patties, using about 1/3 cup for each one.
- Heat a skillet (cast iron, preferably) over medium-high heat. When hot, add some olive oil and turn the pan to coat it in oil. Cook the burgers about 12 minutes total, flipping once or twice, until the burgers are heated through and the edges are charred.
- Serve hot on buns, with your favorite toppings.