A beautiful dish for a special brunch or dinner.
For 6 Serving(s)
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1/2 c minced onions
- 2 1/2 sticks of butter
- 1/2 lb Swiss cheese, grated
- 1/2 c freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 oz sliced, toasted almonds
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 c minced fresh herbs such as dill, mint, chives and parsley or 1t dried dill
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 T lemon juice
- 16 sheets filo pastry, thawed
Asparagus Strudel Directions
- Chop the asparagus into 1-inch pieces and blanch for approximately 3 minutes. In 4T of butter, saute the onions. Mix onions and asparagus in large bowl with all other ingredients EXCEPT the rest of the butter and the filo dough. Melt remaining 2 sticks of butter. Thoroughly coat the bottom and sides of a 9x13-inch pan with butter. Layer 8 sheets of filo into prepared pan, brushing butter on each layer. Pour the asparagus filling mixture into the pan and top with remaining 8 sheets of filo dough, brushing each with butter as before. Trim the edges and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.