For 4 Serving(s)
- 1 bouillon cube
- 1/2 c long grain brown rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 green cardamom pods (crushed)
- 1 1/2 t salt
- 2 eggs (large)
- 2 egg yolks (large)
- 10 lemon strips (from the rind)
- 1/4 c fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium shallot (sliced long and very thin)
Avgolemono or Greek Lemon-Egg Soup Directions
- 1. Prepare 6 cups of bouillon as directed and bring to a boil.
2. Add rice, bay leaf, cardamom, strips, and salt.
3. Reduce to simmer until rice is soft, approx. 20 minutes.
4. Remove bay leaf, cardamom, and strips.
5. Whisk eggs, yolks, and lemon juice together.
6. Continue whisking while slowly ladling hot stock into eggs.
7. Return egg mixture to hot stock, cook on low until soup thickens, approx. 6 min.
8. Serve with sliced shallots.