Serve with an herby, lemony salad for a satisfying meal, or serve as a side dish alongside something grilled. Try using gluten-free pasta!
For 6 Serving(s)
- 1 lb zucchini
- 1 c cooked chickpeas
- 1 c coarsely chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 c coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1 clv garlic
- 1 lemon
- 1 lb penne pasta
Penne Pasta Salad with Zucchini, Chickpeas, and Olives Directions
- Heat a large, heavy skillet over high heat. Coat the bottom of the pan with a thin coat of olive oil. In batches, arrange the zucchini in a single layer in the skillet. Cook, undisturbed, until they begin to brown, 1-2 minutes. Flip the zucchini over, and continue to cook until golden brown and very tender. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a large bowl. Repeat with remaining zucchini, adding more oil if needed.
- Reduce heat to medium-high, and add the chickpeas and olives. Sauté about 2 minutes, until the chickpeas begin to brown, and the olives are fragrant. Transfer to the bowl with the zucchini. Drizzle with the vinegar and add ½ teaspoon of salt. Toss to combine and set aside.
- Cook the penne in a large pot of boiling water according to package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Place the basil, parsley, garlic, lemon zest and juice, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and ½ teaspoon of salt in the bowl of a food processor. Purée until smooth (see note). Add it to the bowl of zucchini, chickpeas, and olives. Add the cooked pasta to the bowl, and toss to incorporate the vegetables and coat everything in the herb sauce.
- Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold.