This crumble is made with not too much sugar, so the sweet-tart plums can take center stage. Serve for dessert on its own, or with some melty vanilla ice cream. It also doubles as a lovely breakfast.
For 8 Serving(s)
- 2 T lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 T all-purpose flour
- 1/4 t ground cinnamon
- 1/4 t ground ginger
- 2 T finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 14 plums
- 3/4 c sugar
- 1 t baking powder
- 1/4 t coarse salt
- 1 egg
- 7 T unsalted butter
Plum Crumble Directions
- Place oven rack in the center of oven, and preheat to 375F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the brown sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons of flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, the ginger, and the crystallized ginger. Add the plums, and stir to coat. Place the plums cut-side-down in a deep, 9-inch pie plate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, remaining 1 cup of flour, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, the baking powder, and salt. Add the egg, then use your hands to thoroughly combine, squeezing and pinching to make a crumbly topping. Sprinkle it in an even layer over the plums. Drizzle with the melted butter, and bake 30-35 minutes, until the crumble is browned and the plums are very tender. Let sit on a wire rack to cool.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.