These grilled mushroom tacos are delicious, with avocado and shredded red cabbage - but the star of the show here is definitely this sauce. It’s cashew-based, with roasted jalapenos, garlic, and cucumber, and you’ll want to have it on everything.
For 6 COM_JOOMRECIPE_SERVING_TYPE_
- 1/2 jalapeno
- 1 c cashews
- 1 c water
- 1 T rice wine vinegar
- 1 T minced shallot
- 1 clv garlic
- 1/2 c peeled chopped cucumber
- 1 T lemon juice
- 1/4 c chopped chives
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 T tamari
- 1 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 avocado
- 1 c shredded red cabbage
- 1/3 c cilantro
- 6 corn tortillas
Portobello Tacos with Creamy Jalapeno Sauce Directions
- Roast the jalapeno under the broiler until the skin is black and blistered. Remove from heat and place in a bowl. Cover with a plate and let sit for 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel the skin. Slice off the stem and remove the seeds. Place in a blender and add the cashews, water, vinegar, shallot, garlic, cucumber, lemon, and salt and pepper. Blend until creamy, adding a little more water if needed. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the chopped chives. Place in the refrigerator.
- Set the sliced mushrooms in a large shallow bowl. Top with olive oil, soy sauce, and balsamic vinegar, and toss to coat. Season with black pepper.
- Heat a gas grill to medium, or heat up a grill pan over medium-high heat. Grill the mushrooms, flipping once, until char marks form, 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Make tacos with the warmed tortillas and grilled mushrooms, and serve with the avocado, cabbage, cilantro, and jalapeno sauce.