- 1 T
- olive oil
- potatoes (medium, finely diced)
- 3 c
- chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 1⁄2 c
- corn kernels (preferably fresh)
- 1⁄2 c
- onion (chopped)
- red bell pepper (diced)
- tomato (small, peeled and chopped)
- lime (small)
- 3 T
- cilantro (chopped)
- 1 c
- black beans (canned, rinsed and drained (optional))
- sour cream (or plain yogurt to garnish (optional))
A great showcase for garden fresh vegetables, but equally good in winter with frozen vegetables.
Sauté onion in oil until soft. Add corn, broth and potatoes and cook 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove about half the solids and ½ cup of broth to blender or food processor; blend until smooth. (This step can be done with a potato masher, but puree may not be quite as smooth.) Return puree to soup pot and heat to near boiling. Stir in bell pepper, tomato and beans if using and heat through. Squeeze lime into soup and top with cilantro immediately before serving. Garnish with plain yogurt or sour cream if desired.
Note: Using grilled corn, cut from the cob, imparts a delicious smoky flavor. Make it a meal--serve with quesadillas and salad .