- 12 oz
- whole-wheat elbow macaroni or other tubular pasta
- 3 T
- unbleached flour
- 1 1⁄2 c
- lowfat milk, soy milk or rice milk
- 2 T
- butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
- 2 c
- grated cheddar cheese or non-dairy cheddar-style cheese
- salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste
Quick and easy! A favorite of kids of all ages!
Cook the pasta in plenty of boiling water until al dente; then drain. Meanwhile, dissolve the flour in 1/2 cup of the milk and then combine with remaining milk, margarine and cheese in a saucepan. Slowly bring to a gentle simmer, stirring often. Cook over low heat until the sauce is smooth and thick, 4 to 5 minutes. Combine the cooked macaroni and the cheese sauce and stir together. Season to taste with salt, pepper and hot sauce if using. If desired, transfer the mixture to an oiled 9-inch baking pan, sprinkle the top with fresh bread crumbs and bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes or until golden and crusty.
Note: Hot sauce will bring out the flavor of the cheese; use a few drops or more to taste.