- 1⁄4 c
- extra virgin olive oil
- yellow onion (small, chopped)
- carrot (large, peeled and finely chopped)
- celery stalk (diced)
- 1 cn
- whole plum tomatoes (28-oz, chopped, juice reserved)
- 1 cn
- tomato puree (28-oz)
- 1 T
- basil (dried, freshly crumbled)
- 1⁄2 T
- oregano (dried, freshly crumbled)
- salt and freshly ground pepper (to taste)
A delicious sauce to serve with pasta or polenta.
In a large sauté pan, heat the oil. Add onions, carrots, and celery, and cook over medium-low heat until the vegetables are tender and beginning to brown. Add the chopped garlic, stir, and cook for 1 minute. Add the chopped tomatoes, tomato juice, tomato purée, basil, and oregano. Cook for about 30 minutes over medium heat, giving the pot a stir occasionally. Before serving season to taste with salt and black pepper.