Aug. 19, 2010
Dear Willy Street Co-op Owners,
As you may have heard, we intend to install a driveway onto Jenifer Street later this fall. We have received a lot of support for this as well as some questions and some opposition.
The main reasons for the driveway are to ease congestion in and around our lot; to improve safety on Williamson St.; and to provide a way into the Co-op parking lot for customers and delivery trucks during Williamson St. road construction (currently scheduled for 2011).
We sent 260 letters to neighbors to inform them of the larger project to improve the parking lot and the Jenifer St. side of our property. We invited them to the neighborhood meeting on Aug. 16th and presented the plans. (The plans will be available on our website on the week of Aug. 23rd.) We received a lot of feedback and questions at this meeting, which we appreciate - that was a major reason for holding it. Meeting minutes will be posted by Aug. 31st.
The meeting has spurred a few initiatives:
- Although our management feels that we had been communicative about our plans over the last few years, a number of neighbors attending the meeting felt we hadn't done enough - for that we apologize. We have committed to do a better job from here onward.
- All pages about this project that are posted to our website will be open for comments.
- We have created a email address, and any comments, questions or concerns can be sent to that; we will do our best to answer them in a timely fashion. People can also email a request to be on a list that is sent updates about the project.
- We pledge to post notices on eastside neighborhood listserves when we add updates about the project to our website.
- Co-op Management has established an ad hoc committee of concerned individuals who represent the interests of neighboring businesses, residents, as well as city staff to evaluate the long-term impacts and management of the Jenifer St. driveway. Willy Street Co-op management has elected to delay the use of the driveway for car traffic until work with the ad hoc committee has been completed.
While the makeup of the ad hoc committee is already underway, we are soliciting input from all concerned parties and welcome you to comment on this article here or email us at
. Your input will have the most strength if posted publicly on our website and signed with your name, Owner number (if you are a Co-op Owner) and general location of residence or place of business (if applicable). The committee will be considering all input in advising the Co-op's decision.
The WSGC Management team is still committed to improving the overall safety of our neighborhood and believes that opening a driveway onto Jenifer Street remains a valid and likely means of doing so. For those interested in reading more about the motivations, history of our decisions, please reference our FAQ and this page.
Yours in cooperation,
Anya Firszt, Wynston Estis, Dan Frost, Lynn Olson, Brendon Smith