Willy Street Co-op is different than other grocery stores. A co-op, or cooperative, is a company that is owned by customers who invest in the business. Everyone can shop at the Co-op, but Owners receive extra benefits.
To be an Owner you pay a Fair Share. Your Fair Share is an investment that supports the Co-op. You pay one Fair Share fee to become an Owner. You can be an Owner as long as you like. If you choose to end your Ownership, you can receive a refund for the money you paid for your Fair Share or you may give it to the Co-op to donate to charitable causes.
You can begin shopping as an Owner after your first payment, and you can pick up your Owner card at the Customer Service desk. Please be prepared to show your card or tell the cashier your Owner Number every time you shop.
As a Willy Street Co-op Owner, you can:*
- Receive discounts on products
- Receive discounts when you buy products in large amounts
- Order products that are not normally sold at the Co-op
- Receive discounts on in-store cooking classes and presentations
- Celebrate with other Owners at the Annual Meeting and Party
- Receive the Reader with monthly information, discounts and recipes from the Co-op (in the mail or sign up to receive it by email)
- Vote in Willy Street Co-op elections and run for election on the Board of Directors
- Share your opinion about Co-op projects and participate on Owner advisory groups
- Sign up for the Access Discount Program, if you have a financial need
- Receive a 5% discount on Reader advertising
When Willy Street Co-op makes a profit, the Board of Directors can decide to give a refund, or money back, to its Owners. Your refund depends on how much you shop at the Co-op during the year. If you receive a refund, you will receive a percentage of the profit as store credit. The rest of the profit is invested, or saved, in your name to support the Co-op as it grows.
As an Owner, you support the goals of Willy Street Co-op to:
- be part of an active community that is financially responsible and cares for the environment.
- support small, local, and cooperative farms and businesses.
- be a great place to work, offering employees great pay, health care and retirement benefits, and the opportunity to participate in company decisions.
- support the community by giving money, or grants, to local nonprofit groups for programs that involve food, nutrition and well-being, sustainable agriculture, cooperative education and social change.
As an Owner of Willy Street Co-op you will join many people in the community to build a local business that is responsible, cares for people in the community and listens to the opinions of its Owners and employees.
*Benefits are limited to Willy Street Co-op Owners only.
|You can become an Owner as an individual. As an individual, you pay $58, or you can pay $10 each year for 7 years. Both payment options include a $2 administrative fee per payment. If you would like to become an Owner as an individual, you must complete the form below. Only you can use your Owner number and receive the benefits of Ownership.|
|Two adults living in the same home can share a Household1 Ownership2. Household Owners will pay $93, or $15 each year for 7 years. Both payment options include a $2 administrative fee per payment. Both people can use the Owner benefits, enter prize drawings, pick-up tickets to the Annual Meeting & Party and claim patronage refunds when applicable. Only one person can vote on behalf of the Household. If you and another person would like to become an Owner as a Household, you must decide which person will complete this form. The person who is completing this form becomes the Primary on the Owner account and is the only person who can make changes regarding the Ownership. Only the two people and their dependents listed on the account can use the Household Owner number and receive the benefits of Ownership.|
1Cooperatives and Non-Profits are entitled to purchase equity ($91/Household) and assume the rights and benefits of Ownership. See Customer Service at either store to sign up. Cooperatives must provide a copy of their Articles of Incorporation, and Non-Profits must provide a copy of their IRS 501c3 determination letter.
2Businesses are not eligible to invest equity and become Owners; however, the Co-op does offer a Business Account which offers limited shopping benefits, such as a discount on pre-ordered cases. See Customer Service at either store to sign up for a Business Account.
Become an Owner!
- Decide if you will be an Individual Owner or Household Owner.
- Decide if you will pay ($58 or $93) now or if you will pay each year ($10 or $15) for 7 years.
- Complete the Fair Share Contract.
- Submit your 1) Fair Share Contract and 2) your Fair Share payment to the Customer Service desk or online.
- You can begin shopping as an Owner after your first payment.
If you have a financial need you can join the Access Discount Program. With the Access Discount Program you can:
- Pay $4 every year, until you pay a total of $56, for an Individual OR $7 every year, until you pay a total of $91, for a Household
- Shop at the Co-op with a 10% discount
- Receive one coupon for a free class every year at enrollment
For more information or to apply for this program, talk to the friendly staff at the Customer Service desk. We are happy to help!
Full payment of $58 today, no more payments ($56 is a full Fair Share + $2 non-refundable administrative fee*)
*Payment in full saves you up to $12.00 in administrative fees.
Activating Your Web Account
As an Owner, you can register to get your own web account and receive information by email:
- The Co-op’s monthly newsletter
- Your co-op shopping receipts
- Weekly Owner Rewards flyer with Owner-only sales
Register to receive information by email instead of paper copies:
- Go to www.willystreet.coop/user/password
- Enter your Owner number or email address to request a login link. If your email address is not online, please tell Customer Service, so they can help you, or call our Owner Records Administrator at (608) 251-0884 x734, with your full name and Owner number.
- You will receive an email with a link to log in.
- Click on the link to go to your willystreet.coop account.
- Create a new password to enter. Click save.
When you are logged into your account, you can subscribe to the monthly newsletter, email receipts and the Owner Rewards flyer.
Access Discount Program
Owners who have a financial need can apply for the Access Discount Program. With the Access Discount Program you can shop with a 10% discount to buy food and other products at the Co-op.
If you are not an Owner, sign up today! With the Access Discount, Owners:
- Can pay the Ownership fee (Fair Share) over a longer period of time: $4 every year for an Individual, until you pay a total of $56 OR $7 every year for a Household (two adults living in the same house or apartment), until you pay a total of $91.
- Shop at the Co-op with a 10% discount.
- Receive one coupon for a free class every year at enrollment.
The Access Discount is connected to your Owner account. When you checkout, you will tell the cashier your Owner number and the cashier will confirm your name. Both primary and secondary Owners on a Household Ownership account can use the Access Discount.
To apply for the Access Discount program, you can talk with staff at the Customer Service Desk. You must show proof of income (annual income, before taxes, at or below 130% of the Federal Poverty Guideline) or registration in an assistance program (see the qualifiers below). Staff at the Customer Service Desk are happy to answer questions about the Access Discount Program.
All Owners that participate in the Access Discount program must sign up every year, during the month of March. The Co-op will send a reminder letter to you in February, at the address listed on your account.
- QUEST Food Share Program: Current grocery receipt AND EBT Card
- Medicaid (BadgerCare/Senior Care): Forward Card AND enrollment confirmation letter
- Special Supplemental Program for Women, Infants, and Children (WIC): Copies of current vouchers, or current updated enrollment data or correspondence from WIC
- Section 8 Housing Assistance/Community Development Authority (HUD): Verification letter from the property manager or social worker
- Senior Farmers' Market Nutrition Program: Copies of current vouchers
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI): Enrollment letter from the Social Security Administration
- Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI): Enrollment letter from the Social Security Administration
- Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program: Most recent enrollment statement
- FairShare CSA Coalition Partner Shares: Current enrollment confirmation letter/email
- Proof annual gross income within last year is at or below 130% of the Federal Poverty Guideline: Answer the questions on the Access Discount Registration Form in store and show verification of your income.
2016 130% Federal Poverty Guidelines Chart (will be updated Jan. 27, 2017)
Persons in Family/ Household
2016 Federal Poverty Guideline (Annual)
Households (families) with more than 8 persons must add $4,160 for each additional person after 8 to the Federal Poverty Guideline