To be an Owner you pay a Fair Share. Your Fair Share is an investment that supports the Co-op. You pay one Fair Share fee to become an Owner. You can be an Owner as long as you like. If you choose to end your Ownership, you can receive a refund for the money you paid for your Fair Share or you may give it to the Co-op to donate to charitable causes.
You can begin shopping as an Owner after your first payment, and you can pick up your Owner card at the Customer Service desk. Please be prepared to show your card or tell the cashier your Owner Number every time you shop.
Benefits of becoming an Owner
As a Willy Street Co-op Owner, you can:*
- Receive discounts on products
- Take advantage of Owner Rewards sales and sign up to receive the flyer by email
- Get 10% off wellness and bodycare items on the first Wednesday of each month
- Receive the sale price on the products featured as part of each week's Meat Sale Thursday
- Receive discounts when you buy products in large amounts
- Order products that are not normally sold at the Co-op
- Receive discounts on in-store cooking classes and presentations
- Celebrate with other Owners at the Annual Meeting and Party
- Receive the Reader with monthly information, discounts and recipes from the Co-op (in the mail or sign up to receive it by email)
- Vote in Willy Street Co-op elections and run for election on the Board of Directors
- Get exclusive access to Co-op recipes by request
- Share your opinion about Co-op projects and participate on Owner advisory groups
- Sign up for the Access Discount Program, if you have a financial need
- Receive a 5% discount on Reader advertising
When Willy Street Co-op makes a profit, the Board of Directors can decide to give a refund, or money back, to its Owners. Your refund depends on how much you shop at the Co-op during the year. If you receive a refund, you will receive a percentage of the profit as store credit. The rest of the profit is invested, or saved, in your name to support the Co-op as it grows.
As an Owner, you support the goals of Willy Street Co-op to:
- be part of an active community that is financially responsible and cares for the environment.
- support small, local, and cooperative farms and businesses.
- be a great place to work, offering employees great pay, health care and retirement benefits, and the opportunity to participate in company decisions.
- support the community by giving money, or grants, to local nonprofit groups for programs that involve food, nutrition and well-being, sustainable agriculture, cooperative education and social change.
As an Owner of Willy Street Co-op you will join many people in the community to build a local business that is responsible, cares for people in the community and listens to the opinions of its Owners and employees.
*Benefits are limited to Willy Street Co-op Owners only.
Owners who have a financial need can apply for the Access Discount Program. With the Access Discount Program you can shop with a 10% discount to buy food and other products at the Co-op.
With the Access Discount, Owners:
- Can pay the Ownership fee (Fair Share) over a longer period of time: $4 every year for an Individual, until you pay a total of $56 OR $7 every year for a Household (two adults living in the same house or apartment), until you pay a total of $91.
- Shop at the Co-op with a 10% discount.
- Receive one coupon for a free class every year at enrollment.
The Access Discount is connected to your Owner account. When you checkout, you will tell the cashier your Owner number and the cashier will confirm your name. Both primary and secondary Owners on a Household Ownership account can use the Access Discount.
Become an Owner!
- Decide if you will be an Individual Owner or Household Owner.
- Decide if you will pay ($58 or $93) now or if you will pay each year ($10 or $15) for 7 years.*
- Complete the Fair Share Contract.
- Submit your 1) Fair Share Contract and 2) your Fair Share payment to the Customer Service desk or online.
- You can begin shopping as an Owner after your first payment.