This cake is very very easy to make. If you don't want quite as much "ducky" flavor, substitute the duck fat with butter. If you don't like rosemary, omit it altogether, or use lemon verbena, sage, or winter savory instead. For a sweeter cake, increase the sugar to a full cup. Served with whipped cream and fresh fruit, this is a dessert that's sure to please.
For 6 Serving(s)
- 4 duck eggs
- 3/4 c sugar
- 3 T olive oil
- 7 T duck fat
- 2 T minced fresh rosemary
- 1 1/2 c cake flour
- 1 T baking powder
- pn salt
Duck Egg Cake with Rosemary Directions
- Preheat oven to 325F. Butter a 9-inch loaf pan.
- Crack the duck eggs into a large bowl and use a whisk to beat in the sugar until slightly frothy. While whisking, drizzle in the olive oil and duck fat or melted butter. Once incorporated, sprinkle the egg mixture with rosemary.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Whisk the flour mixture into the egg mixture until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and bake 50 minutes. If a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, remove from oven. If not, allow to bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 5 minutes, then turn out onto the rack. Slice and serve warm or at room temperature.